SIF 41 UVA ResearchNET Research Development
Project Manager: Dean Evasius, Office of the Vice President for Research
The purpose of this project is to substantially enhance the research support infrastructure in order to increase the number and quality of awards to the University.
BoV Approved: September 2016
Project Dates: 10/19/2016 – 10/18/2020
Funding Awarded: $4,461,000
The objective of the UVA ResearchNET is to substantially strengthen UVA's research support infrastructure across Grounds. It is a product of the joint VPR/School/Provost Office/OSP research needs analysis undertaken in 2016 to identify gaps and propose approaches and opportunities for substantial research growth. This goal aligns with Pillar 2, Strategy 5 of the Cornerstone Plan: The University will enhance institution-wide infrastructure and services to encourage and support research, scholarship, creative arts, and innovation by faculty and students. This project focuses specifically on research development, an enabling infrastructure that assists faculty in successfully competing for sponsored research funds. The project team proposed phased central, VPR, OSP and School support over a 3-year period to develop and mature a research development program that includes central positions within the VPR Office and OSP, research development positions that will be based in the Schools, software tools for identifying research opportunities and potential collaborative networks, and training and support for faculty in preparation of proposals, particularly for larger, trans-disciplinary proposals.
Current Status: Active
The project team has made good progress and increasing momentum with program development, with the following highlights:
- Launched the proposal development pilot, which provided support to 23 proposals ($86M in requested funding) that were submitted in FY17-18. Of these, 6 are pending, 4 have been awarded, and 11 were declined.
- Onboarded all personnel into the research development partnership as outlined in the original goals, including the Associate VPR for Research Development, the Director of Research Development in SOM, and the Pre-Award Research Administrator in Curry.
- In partnership with ITS-CACS, developed a platform for managing research development activities including proposal development, limited submissions, and faculty recognition. The platform leverages data from ResearchUVa, HR, and Finance systems to connect research development activities to submitted proposals and grant awards.
- Establishing relationships with key program personnel in NIH, NSF, NASA, DARPA and other prospective funding agencies as well as industry through meetings and conferences; organized visits to Grounds by key program personnel from DARPA, IARPA, NSF, NIH, ORNL, MITRE, NEH, NHPRC and many other stakeholders from both federal funding agencies and industry.
- Providing on-going support to pan-UVA institutes (Brain Institute, Environmental Resilience Institute, and Global Infectious Disease Institute).